Monday 15 August 2011

Independence Day Mocha Cake

     August 15th...India's Independence Day...A day of celebration for the nation....A national holiday...A day to remember the sacrifices made by our ancestors for our freedom. For most of us, it's just a day off from school or work. A day to sleep in. Today, I had to go to school for the flag hoisting. Some of the juniors recited poems, and sang and danced to patriotic songs. That was our Independence Day celebration. You don't need to know me well to know that I jump at any opportunity I get to bake. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that I baked a cake today in celebration of my country's Independence Day. Instead of baking the usual chocolate cake, I decided to bake a coffee cake. Not a cake you eat with coffee...A coffee flavored cake. Let's call it a Mocha Cake, shall we? I made a tiny one, because with only three of us in the house right now (me, my mom, and my brother), I knew it wouldn't get over fast enough to bake something again tomorrow. :P I frosted it with Vanilla Buttercream frosting. You can never go wrong with buttercream frosting. It tastes amazing every time! This recipe is adapted from the BBC Good Food site.




CAKE:-


Ingredients:

125 grams butter
125 grams sugar
150 grams self-rising flour
2 eggs
75 ml strong coffee

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit (about 180 degrees Celcius). Grease the cake tins, or line with parchment paper.

2. Beat butter and sugar together and pale and creamy.



3.Add the flour and eggs together and beat.

4. Mix in the strong coffee.




5. Pour the batter into the cake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.




6. Frost with buttercream frosting.

VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:-

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1  1/4 cup confectionary (icing) sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon milk or cream

Method:

1. Beat butter and sugar until well combined.
2. Add the vanilla essence and milk/cream and mix.
3. If the frosting is too runny, add some more sugar, and if it's too thick, add some more milk/cream, until it is in frosting consistency.

** For chocolate frosting, add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the butter and sugar, before adding vanilla essence and milk/cream. For coffee frosting, add half a tablespoon of espresso/coffee powder. For colored frosting, add a few drops of food coloring.





1 comment: