Friday 19 August 2011

Fudge Brownies

    Today was my 17th birthday. It was one of the best birthdays ever! School was fun (shocking, I know!), and then some family friends came over for dinner. There's going to be a party at home tomorrow. But today was a happy, fun day. One of my family friends baked me a delicious chocolate cake. Dinner was a lot of fun. It consisted more of laughter and sharing old memories and funny stories rather than actually eating. Now I'm looking forward to the party tomorrow!
     A lot of people asked me if I was going to bake my birthday cake. I said no. I bake for everyone else's birthdays. Why should I bake for my own? But you know me, I can't pass up an opportunity to bake! So, I baked myself birthday brownies! I came across this recipe from Diving Baking and I knew at once, that this was the recipe I was going to try out. I love fudgy brownies with a crackly crust. This recipe makes the perfect dense fudgy brownies. And the crust....Oh, I could go on forever about how wonderful the crust is! What I'm trying to say is, this recipe is a must try! You won't be disappointed, I promise!!




Ingredients:



3/4 cup butter
1 pound (16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 cups brown sugar*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla 

*It's hard to get brown sugar here in India, so I use one tablespoon of honey and one cup of white sugar for every cup of brown sugar required, and it comes out perfectly!

Method:








1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish, or line with parchment paper or foil.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. 
3. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Set aside to cool. 



4. Sift the flour into a small mixing bowl. 
5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until the mixture thickens and becomes pale in color, about 4 to 5 minutes. 
6. Using a rubber spatula, fold the cooled chocolate into the egg mixture. 
7. Add the flour and fold it in quickly but gently with the rubber spatula so that you don’t deflate the air that’s been incorporated into the eggs.





8. Pour the batter into the prepared dish. 
9. Bake until the top looks slightly cracked and feels soft to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.












   

No comments:

Post a Comment